Saturday, September 05, 2009

politics really is the new religion for about 18,000

I finally understand how Glenn Beck gets so choked up on his shows. I was sitting today with 18k other concerned Americans at Voice of America Park in West Chester, OH. It was billed The Voice of America Freedom Rally and hosted by the Cincinnati Tea Party.

I don't know if it was the Bible quotes, the old lady in her red T-shirt singing "God Bless America", or the overwhelming group of people cheering in agreement--it was beautiful--but i was nearly in tears on several occassions. It was the most moving experience I've witnessed in a while and felt much like church. I did learn a few things that I will share with you:

1)I spent all day checking out the signs people made and realized on the way out, that if these folks put as much energy into finding solutions to the problems of our nation, the free market would be working well enough that this Obamacare issue wouldn't even be on the table.

2)Do not upset this group! At least 80% of them reacted favorably to gun ownership rights. I must admit it freaked me out a little bit. I didn't see any guns of course, but it was still a little unnerving.

3)Folks are very irate about the Czar thing. My husband thinks it's just me who watches Glenn Beck online because we don't want to spend money on cable. But apparently, other people are paying attention. I believe it was John Boehner who said he will be asking, on Tuesday, for Czar funding to end. He feels that all these people working in the White House should be voted on by Congress. Hey, Van Jones, hope you are enjoying your long weekend, because I think next week might be a little, uh, not so fun for you...

At any rate, I do think that being an American is a pretty cool thing. No, I don't own Flag t-shirts, or wear red ever, but I feel soooo fortunate to be able to speak or assemble for any reason under the sun. And I was thrilled to see that so many came out to be involved and let their Congress men and women know that they weren't very pleased about a number of issues. But also that they did appreciate them standing up and voting NO on Cap and Trade, stimulus packages and ridiculuous budgets. I really believe strongly that the Obama Administration has awakened a sleeping giant. It did begin with Bush, but now people are up--eyes open wide, engaged and ready to fight. Can't wait to see what happens when Congress gets back to work next week. Let the fun begin!

No comments: